3.15.2008

The Gift of Music

Today I am especially grateful for the gift of music. While playing through a song that I will be playing as a solo accompaniment on Sunday I had an experience similar to others that I've had before but have never recorded for posterity. I thought of Elder Eyring's talk and felt I needed to write this down.



The song that I was playing is a Marvin Goldstein arrangement of the hymn, "Now Let Us Rejoice". (To read the words click here.) I was reading the words while playing the music and as I started into the 3rd verse the spirit touched my heart telling me that the words I was reading are true and that they will come to pass.



People often assume that I get tired of playing the piano for church callings or just to help someone out (like this coming Sunday). But in all honesty, 99% of the time I don't mind at all and actually enjoy it. I am grateful that I've been blessed to be able to play the piano well enough to accompany the ward choir and other musical numbers or to pretend to play the organ the correct way for Sacrament Meeting. Why am I grateful? It is a very powerful and consistent way for me to feel the spirit. I see how my abilities are magnified when I am serving. It buoys me up when life feels too overwhelming.



For me, music truly is a gift from my Heavenly Father.

5 comments:

Karrot Soup said...

Thank you for recording that -- I agree that one of the best ways for me to consistently feel spiritual things is when I'm playing music. I wish I had as many chances as you do! (I ran across an old picture of us playing at a wedding, by the by.)

The Reading Armadillo said...

I totally feel the same way about playing the piano. It helps me feel better when I'm down or frustrated. I've never felt the spirit stronger than at certain times when I've played.

Lindsay said...

And it was beautiful...thanks Kara for being willing to share your talent and bless our lives! Love you!

Lindsey said...

Kara, you are so talented. Thank you for sharing it with the people around you.

Jessica said...

You and your talent and your gentle spirit are a blessing. Thank YOU.