3.25.2008

German Pancakes

I have a long history with German pancakes.

-Growing up my mom would include them in the breakfast menu from time to time. (I really wish I knew if she always made breakfast for the family or if it was just something that happened as her children got older. Being the youngest it is all I remember.) I've always eaten them with powdered sugar and syrup. How's that for starting your day with a sugar rush!

-As a missionary in a foreign country you quickly learn from your first companion what food staples are readily available and therefore what your menu will include. German pancakes quickly became our Sunday night standard. I have fond memories of eating German pancakes in tiny kitchens in Vilnius and Klaipeda.

-Now as a mother (that does not get up before her children to prepare breakfast since one who will remain unnamed is almost always up before 6:00 a.m.) I do include German pancakes in our menu from time to time. They most often show up on a Sunday night when I don't feel like preparing a big meal. The kids love them with powdered sugar and syrup (who wouldn't) and we all enjoy our sugar high for the rest of the evening.

We made this batch a couple of Sundays ago (3.16.08) when Blake was at a conference in Phoenix. Didn't really feel like making a big meal that night and the kids definitely didn't mind.




German Pancakes

1/4 C butter or margarine
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place butter in 9x13 pan and put in oven to melt while oven is preheating. Meanwhile beat the eggs then add the flour. When mixed well add the milk and mix until smooth. Pour mixture in pan with butter and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with powdered sugar and syrup.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Scullerina said...

I still use your german pancake recipe and it's the best. I also have fond memories of eating this yummy comfort food with our home made syrup thanks to maple-line from Hootie and Munch.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

thanks for posting the recipe--I'll have to try that (I can use all the help i can get in the cooking dept.!)

Debbie said...

Kara - I love German pancakes! I used to make them every Christmas morning until Mike finally told me he didn't really like them... ouch. So now I never get them. They are the best!