2.26.2008

Reclaiming the Basement

Last Monday morning (2.18.08) Blake and I decided that we were going to get the carpet back down and the furniture back in the room that night. I secretly decided I was going to be superwoman and lay the carpet back down myself that day. I knew I just needed to use a knee kicker but wasn't exactly sure how to go about the whole process, so I did an internet search on how to lay carpet and educated myself. Then I drove on over to the local tool rental store and got me a knee kicker.

I had a few minutes later in the afternoon so I ran downstairs to try it out. It was all quite simple. I realized about halfway through though that I was probably going to rub some holes in my jeans. When I slipped into shorts I discovered that I already had a nice rug burn on my left knee. When it was all said and done I had several rug burns to show off. This is what my knees look like a week later.

I'd like to say that I had the whole room done by the time Blake got home, but I didn't. I was a good start anyway. We even had time to get all the furniture put back in place.

*For those of you who have been wondering how the basement flooded: We had a lot of snow, rain and freezing temperatures. Near this window, we have a down spout that is buried underground and takes the water to the front yard. It had been so cold that the water in it froze and and the new rain just bubbled out and into the window well. When the window well got too full it came in the house.

5 comments:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Okay--you put your own snow chains on AND lay your own carpet? I dub you the NEW & IMPROVED SUPER WOMAN! That's awesome--I'm impressed!

Jessica said...

Seriously? You are amazing. The look on my husband's face if I EVER did anything like that, would have been so worth the scabs.

jessica said...

You go girl! I am so freaking impressed!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

You and rozann are inspiring me to do it MYSELF! How do your legs look so good after four kids, despite the rug burns!!! Love iT!

Lindsey said...

Woah... You just took a page out of the Lindsey home handyman book! That is TOTALLY something I would have done. I am so proud. . . :)