2.05.2010

Ingenious or Pathetic?



What exactly is this?

My strategy for keeping Porter from climbing up the stairs!


Oh, of course it is!


The blockade has progressed over the past couple of weeks.
It started as a couple of stools, but Porter learned to crawl under that within the day. So I turned them 45 degrees and that worked temporarily because he could only crawl under the stool in one direction. So he would enter the stool tunnel on one side only to come out at the other side instead of at the stairs. After another day he figured out how to crawl both ways under the stools and through the stools to get to the stairs. This is when we moved on to the basket/bucket combination, mostly because they were nearby one day. At first he was tipping the basket over so we added some weight to hold it down. A couple of days ago he figured out how to slide that even though there was 24 pounds of weight in the bottom. The kids have since collected all of the weights in the house and added them to the basket. The stool was recently added to keep him from sliding the bucket around.

The ironic thing about this all? He just climbed in the basket and crawled over the weights to get to the stairs while I was typing this post.

Maybe I should stop typing and start lessons on how to go down the stairs!

Honestly, I'm just really scared he's going to fall down the stairs. Paige fell down the stairs in our old house when she was just a little younger than Porter and it was awful!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hey! There is this really ingenius thing that they sell at Target called..... a baby gate... You should try one! :) Much loves! :)

Kara said...

If you were really sending much loves you would tell me how to use a baby gate (yes, I do own one) when one side of the stairs is all stair railings...no seriously, you would! :)

krista said...

I think your technique is ingenious, not pathetic. The only things I can think of are duck tape to hold the gate in place, tipping a card table on it's side (with the legs out) or teaching Porter to go down the stairs...teaching Porter to go down is probably the easiest solution.