12.07.2007

What is it about Friday?

Friday. The end of the school week. The end of the work week. The beginning of the weekend. Something inside of me always feels like somehow Friday night should be different from the previous four other nights. For me it's similar to what would be described as spring fever, but in this case we'll call it "weekend fever". It's an urge to just leave all responsibility behind and just be spontaneous. Problem is that just isn't realistic when you have a small brood to care for, a husband who of course works a full day on Fridays and a budget. So get a babysitter and go out you say. Despite its obvious lack of spontaneity, I often do go through the process of hiring a babysitter because I know the trauma of it all will be worth the few hours away from the house with my hubby. (I use the word trauma because if anybody knows me really well they know how much I "love" to call people on the phone--yes, even 13 and 14 year old girls. Ask me to call and order a pizza in my younger years? I would rather go hungry. I vividly remember sitting in the kitchen with one of my guy friends the summer after high school graduation, my dad's credit card in hand and begging him to call and place a catalog order for me because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It literally terrified me.)



So back to Fridays. I usually spend the first 2/3rds of the day with some excited anticipation running through my blood. Then the end of the week exhaustion hits late afternoon and all of my hopeful ideas begin to fizzle. Even though I've vowed that I'm actually going to make dinner like I have all of the other nights or at least make the pizza myself, more often than not by dinner time it just becomes a question of which kind of pizza. Costco? Papa Murphy's? Rivercity?



I think there will always be a part of me that gets that "weekend fever" on Fridays. So thanks to my family that puts up with me, especially on Friday evenings. I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with you!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

1. I HATE making phone calls, too.

2. I have a similar Friday thing, but all it usually turns into is eating something REALLY high in calories...

Scullerina said...

Maybe I am just getting old but I also feel tired by the time Friday night comes around. I used to make big plasn and it was the social night of the week. Now I find myself home doing laundry or grocery shopping for excitement. I need to spice up my life.

The Sorensen Bunch said...

We LOVE friday PIZZA nights-That is as good as it gets sometimes. Doesn;t it hurt to add the babysitter line to your budget? We have really felt the pain with four! I wanna come play!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

This post exactly describes how I feel. I'm home every day--but for some reason getting to Friday is a reason celebrate. Oh, and it sounds like a lot of people don't like talking on the phone--i'm one of them too! hence my love of blogs/e-mails. =) Jim & I will have races to find info--he will use the phone book & call someone--while I am simultaneously googling & emailing to see who can do it faster. he prefers to talk--suprised? =)