So Porter having the chickenpox was disturbing on another level because it has always been in question whether or not I have ever had the disease myself. I pretty much pushed it out of my mind hoping for the best and figured that if I was going to get them it would be right around Christmas. The week before Christmas my throat got really sore and I started wondering if it was the beginning of "it". In the end it turned out to be strep throat and I forgot about the looming pox. The next few days continued to be crazy with a work party, two of us with strep, the "single mother of 5" Sunday, my sister coming into town (which was actually helpful), our basement flooding (yes: new house but the same story), our anniversary, Christmas break, and did I mention that I was sick and didn't feel so hot? The best part of it all, seriously, was that as I was bailing water out of our window well on Monday (our anniversary) I was just so grateful that my sister, Krista, was at our house already and she could keep an eye on the kids and that because I had started a round of antibiotics the day before my throat was not on fire for the first time in 3 days and so I felt good enough to bail water in the freezing cold. I don't think I would have been able to handle it otherwise. Heavenly Father sends us tender mercies even in the midst of our disasters!
Wednesday morning as I went to get into the shower I noticed several red blistered spots on my abdomen and it was then that I realized that it had finally caught up to me, about 30 years too late in my opinion. Sorry to all of the people at the grocery store the day before and the people at the gym that morning! Paige also broke out in a very mild case that afternoon. They never blistered and went away after a couple of days. She had had one dose of vaccine and obviously it helped her. Let's just say that things went rapidly down hill for me over the next couple of days and by Christmas I was no longer eating because the inside of my throat was covered with pox and it hurt!! I'm feeling much better now although the pox marks will take some time to fade. I can now say with confidence that I've had the chickenpox. Boy howdy, did I ever!
8 comments:
How sad for ALL of you!! I saw the cutest post about Paige's birthday and it isn't showing up here! Happy Birthday too paige. Good to see you guys. (Sorry about the basement...AGAIN! I can't believe it!)
Oh dear. What a crazy and stressful holiday. Sorry about the flooding. Glad Krista was there.
So sorry about the pox. I got them when I was in 6th grade and I was miserable!!!!
Love all the new posts.
I think of you often --- and need to call so we can catch up.
Oh Kara! I'm so sad for you. Both of my kids got the pox within a week of each other. It was 2 weeks of pure misery. I hope you all feel better soon.
OH MY GOSH, Kara! That is horrible! Who knew you were having the chicken pox?! I'm sorry.
(I would have loved to see that cute porter scratching the chicken pox, though.)
oh heck! I just published my post and then read this one...being a sick momma is HARD! Wish we were closer
Oh, Kara, this is horrible! good thing that it happed awhile ago and I am just now catching up! Sorry, girl.
BTW, who the heck does Porter belong to? He looks so different from "the brothers" and Paige!
AHHHHHH! I'm so sorry! That is no fun! I'm so glad your sister comes and is so helpful! I'm glad we're in February and past it. Loved the family pics, Cade looks so old! And Porter...he is soooo cute. Love 'the brothers', come on, you gotta hand it to her...she's streamlining and becoming more efficient. It's what we women do!
Aiyaiyai!! That sure is the making for a great story in a few years. In the meantime, yikes! Glad you are feeling better now!!
Post a Comment